Elder neglect by a caretaker who fails to fulfill a caretaking obligation, constitutes more than half of all reported cases of elder abuse. It can be intentional or unintentional, based on factors such as ignorance or denial that an elderly person needs as much care as he or she does.
Care taker abuse occurs when the care taker fails to provide adequate hydration, nutrition, personal hygiene, assistance with daily activities and fails to report changes of condition to the family or physician.
Neglect by caregivers may explain:
- Unusual weight loss, malnutrition, dehydration
- Untreated physical problems, such as bed sores
- Unsanitary living conditions: dirt, bugs, soiled bedding and clothes
- Being left dirty or unbathed
- Unsuitable clothing or covering for the weather
- Unsafe living conditions (no heat or running water; faulty electrical wiring, other fire hazards)
- Desertion of the elder at a public place
At Elder Protection Center we’re here to take immediate action to protect victims of financial elder abuse. If you suspect someone you love is a victim of caregiver abuse or if you have questions regarding their mistreatment – Call Us Now.
At Elder Protection Center, Protecting the People You Love is our number one priority. We’d love to hear from you. Elder Protection Center is standing by for you and your loved ones – Today.